Pickie Fun Park
North Down Borough Council appointed Felix O’Hare & Co Ltd as main contractor to extensively overhaul and refurbish the popular Pickie Family Fun Park facility at Bangor.
Key features and benefits:
- Our primary objective was to create a secure and enclosed area to house the park features and attractions.
- Secondly, we were to restore the relationship between the park and the coast / marina / harbour. These two objectives also had to be co-ordinated with a third issue which was to provide an integrated and cohesive landscape upgrade for the entire park with its numerous facilities including cafes, the Swan Lagoon, an 18 hole mini-golf course, electric car tracks, splash pads, outdoor picnic areas, band areas and the ‘Pickie Puffer’ train track.
- We renovated and enhanced the Swan Lagoon to make it of swimming pool standard in terms of build and water quality and it is now overlooked by new outdoor seating terraces at the rejuvenated Windjammer Café.
- We constructed new WC facilities, with their timber-clad style a throwback to a traditional ‘Beach Hut’ style.
- Away from the lagoon, we extended and upgraded the old, winding routes around the park with new signage, allowing visitors to flow around the site easily and access the quiet spaces, sensory gardens, picnic areas and educational areas.
- Pickie Family Fun Park has become a major tourist development in Northern Ireland and it is likely to be subject to unprecedented repeat business from visitors far and wide.
- For this project, we successfully managed the short turnaround time from inception to completion, with the construction period limited to the winter months so as to be ready for the tourist season.