Newry Leisure Centre
Newry & Mourne District Council appointed Felix O’Hare & Co Ltd as main contractor for the construction of this new build leisure centre, comprising of a swimming pool, changing facilities, administration areas, plant room and associated external works in the heart of Newry City.
The works included the demolition of the existing swimming pool building and construction of the new building with a landscaped public plaza and car park for approximately 150 cars.
Key features and benefits:
- When completed, this modern facility will provide a new three-storey swimming pool building, complete with 25m x 8 lane main pool with lap timing equipment, combined leisure & learner pool with associated flume, seated spectator viewing area for over 200 patrons, offices and ancillary areas.
- The leisure facilities will also include a 14 person timber-lined sauna with accessible seating, a 14 person tiled steam room with accessible seating, village changing facilities and a variety of accessible changing accommodation, multi-purpose sports and training rooms with modern AV equipment and external changing facilities for the existing pitches.
- The project has been designed to meet exemplary sustainability and low carbon principles and will embody the goals set out in the Newry 2020 Low Carbon City targets.
- The facility will also achieve ‘Disability Sports Northern Ireland’s Inclusive Sports Facility’ Accreditation.
- Upon completion, the complex will be a fit-for-purpose facility meeting the future needs of recreational and competitive swimming and be a facility that the Council, users and general public will enjoy for many years to come.