Felix O’Hare & Co Ltd was appointed main contractor by the 174 Trust to carry out the extensive refurbishment and alterations at Duncairn Presbyterian Church on the Antrim Road in Belfast. This Grade B1 listed building was originally built in 1860-1862 in the high Victorian gothic style with an adjacent contemporary manse building, with newer halls making up the full site.
Key features and benefits:
- For this scheme, we were required to integrate the three buildings via a link reception area, as well as the restoration and adaptation of the church to its new use.
- The ground floor, a former banking hall, required substantial fitting out and renovating works to facilitate its new use as a visitor centre and offices, whilst minor works were required to the upper floors to update the office accommodation to meet current regulations.
- We carried out significant repairs and replacement of the existing scrabo stonework and completely repointed the external stone façade to the building.
- The former building has been transformed into a new state-of-the-art facility rivalling anything on the island. With a 170-seater theatre and performance space, conference facilities, artist studios, exhibition area and café, the centre provides the platform to develop arts and culture for all members of the North Belfast community.