Comber Leisure Centre
This project consisted of the demolition of substantial parts of an existing leisure centre for the construction of a new leisure facility in Comber, Co Down.
Key features and benefits:
- There was extensive re-development works to the existing facility which included a reconfiguration of the internal layout to incorporate a new multi-purpose sports hall, meeting rooms, gym, changing rooms, showers, WC, new reception area and catering facilities.
- We over-clad the facades of the building using a fibrous cement panel and provided new roof coverings.
- We also installed new timber flooring, refurbishment of all the WCs and stair cores to comply with current DDA regulations.
- We successfully managed a complex M&E services installation, with multiple zones, all controlled through a sophisticated building management system.
- Externally, we made provision for the 90-space car park, bus turning circles, pedestrian crossing, foot paths, and hard and soft play surfaces.
- Through careful management and early involvement, we dealt successfully with the added complexities of this project such as the extent of the demolitions and the temporary works required within the live operational building. A particular challenge was the new structural steel frame installed to support the existing walls for the sports hall and atrium.
- Felix O’Hare & Co Ltd successfully delivered this programme on time and within the cost limit established.